OVERSEAS STUDY visits
Each year, midway through the Programme, participants undertake a study trip to a cultural organisation or location outside the UK, their 'OSV'. MRL provides a generous travel bursary for the trip, plus guidance and contacts; though this is very much a personal research project. The discovery process on the trip is focused on the 'resilience journey' an organisation has been on or is going through:
- How it has changed over time? Is it thriving, steady state or in decline?
- How is it organised, designed and funded?
- What are the differences between organisations in different countries?
- How do different national and organisational cultures, explicit and implicit norms, affect what can and can't be done or said?
The OSV is one of the highlights of the MRL Programme and is a particularly useful way for MRL participants to think about how the internal culture and norms of their organisations determine how effective and resilient they are.
2016 - 2017 OSV destinations
- Pinotecca Brera in Milan
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston (ISGM)
- Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minnesota (MIA)
- Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto
- Workers Museum Copenhagen Institute Works
- Copenhagen Medical Museum
- Copenhagen Design Museum
- Copenhagen Christiana
- Copenhagen Danish Architecture Centre, Copenhagen
- Museum of Art, Architecture and Design
- Brooklyn Museum, Museum Hack
- Bronx Museum of the Arts
- Museum of Modern Art
- National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen.
- Sporvejsmuseet Skjoldenaesholm (National Tramway Museum of Denmark at Skjoldenaesholm)
- Viking Ship Museum, Roskilde
- Turmaden des Capita Agriturismo Binissues Agricultural Museum
- Göteborgs stadsmuseum National Museum of World Cultures
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence
- Benesse Art Site Naoshima
2015 - 2016 destinations and reports
- Berlin & Copenhagen
- The Netherlands
- Rotterdam & Amsterdam
- Montenegro: Kotor Maritime Museum & National Museum of Montenegro
- Albania: Ethnographic Museum & National Museum of Albania
- Macedonia: Bay of the Bones Museum & National Ohrid Museum